Gear Used in Youtube Videos
I'm a financial advisor on youtube, but the gear used in my videos and podcasts can be used for any talking head videos or podcasts. While you can start with the camera on your phone, I recommend starting with a small but dedicated setup. The creative workflow is just so much easier with a dedicated rig. Audio is more important than video quality for my style of video.
- Sony a6400 https://amzn.to/3lLQpOT
- Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens https://amzn.to/3xyXqVp
- Adobe Premiere Pro
- Rode RODECaster Pro Podcast Production Studio https://amzn.to/37JfMZD
- Aputure 120d ii https://amzn.to/3iTMM73
- Shure SM7B Microphone https://amzn.to/2GtYNN3
- Sennheiser Pro Audio MKH416 https://amzn.to/3ivrddt
- Cloud Microphones Cloud lifter for Sure SM7B https://amzn.to/37AmdMH
- RODE PSA 1 Swivel Mount Studio Microphone Boom Arm https://amzn.to/36wG2TJ
- Overhead Camera a6100 https://amzn.to/3yyzouZ
- Overhead Lens https://amzn.to/37uAM66
- Apple iPhone 13 Pro Max https://amzn.to/2uI1xUj
- Lilliput A11 10.1" 4k Teleprompter Monitor https://amzn.to/2X1zA8c
- Glide Gear Teleprompter https://amzn.to/2U2Vs1U
- OBS for recording directly to my computer https://obsproject.com/
I started making videos with a Canon 5D Mark III DSLR camera that I already had but have upgraded all of my gear over time. Today I use the Sony a6400 as my primary camera and the Sigma 16mm f/1.4 DC DN Contemporary Lens for Sony E. I like the camera field of view because I can put the camera very close to me to reach out and touch it without getting up. I also have a tiny office, so the space savings is a big deal for me.
I use the Sony a6100 as my overhead camera because it's a little cheaper than the a6400. When I wrote this, I can't even remember what the a6400 does better, but the price was the main reason for going with a different model.
Most videos today are used with this mic setup. It's clean and easy to use.
The Aputure 120d ii is an excellent option used by tons of Youtubers.
The image without the mic is lit with the Aputure 120d II, and the one with the Sure SM7B mic is with my ring light (I got rid of the ring light). Not taken on the same day, but as you can see, it's a world of difference. It might not matter to some, but I like it better.
Chalkboard Paint for background wall https://amzn.to/36yNUnU
I don't generally read off of teleprompters, but I still love this setup. If I need to show a few numbers in front of me, this setup works. It's small but valuable.
Lilliput A11 10.1" 4k Teleprompter Monitor https://amzn.to/2X1zA8c
Glide Gear Teleprompter https://amzn.to/2U2Vs1U